House share agreement or tenancy lease?

Image banner
  • When taking in a housemate or moving into a new household you need to make sure that you have the right agreement in place.

    Is it a share house agreement or a tenancy lease?

    Firstly, if you are currently renting, you need to make sure that you have permission to have a housemate in your home.

    Some tenancy agreements will not allow you to sublet without the landlord's approval.

    In some cases, a simple conversation requesting to have a housemate can be enough.

    The landlord may request they be on the lease or may leave that up to you.

    Either way, it's a good idea to have some form of agreement in place to ensure that everyone is on the same page and understands the terms of the house share arrangement.

    House-share agreement

    This is a great option if neither party wants a lease arrangement or if it's a temporary or short-term arrangement. If you're not sure which arrangement is best for you, you can take advantage of our 15-minute free no-obligation call with our House-share Concierge. They'll walk you through the right arrangement based on your requirements.

    The Complete Homeowners Guide to House-sharing

    If you're confident you're after a house-share agreement, you can purchase our House-share Agreement Template Kit for $14.97. We also have The Complete Homeowners Guide to House-sharing for $47. It includes the House-share Agreement Template Kit and other resources as well.

    Tenancy lease

    Depending on which state your are in Australia, will depend on the tenancy lease you need to sign. Tenancy leases change from state to state so search for 'Tenancy Lease' in your state.

    If you are adding them to your existing tenancy lease, you may need to work through that with your landlord or agency.

    See the list below for the right tenancy agreement for your state.







    ***Connect with The Room Xchange on social media  - Facebook | Instagram | TwitterLinkedin  | Get started | Stay updated

    The guides provided are to assist you to feel confident in the process of house sharing. Verbal agreements are not enough. You want to make sure that you have something in place to ensure you both agree on the terms of your house share. However, these are guides only and you should check the laws and regulations in your state in regard to house sharing. Also check any Tenancy Acts in your local state. We do not accept any liability that may arise from the guides that we provide. Please read our website terms and conditions for further information.