It’s no secret that we’re living in unprecedented times right now, but as we start to see society normalise we wanted to share some insights about how you can safely Xchange moving forward. Below you can find some helpful tips to ensure yourself and your hosts are on the same page and can establish some ground rules for everyone’s peace of mind.
- Be honest and realistic about your lifestyle. Before you decide to Xchange with a host, make sure that you’re clear on how you plan to socialise while living there. If you are the type of person who will be out and about more than the average person, then it might not bode well with a host.
- Understand their boundaries. Having friends over when you’re a guest in someone else’s home is a conversation you’d need have in the best of times. Hosts may or may not feel comfortable with it. Now more than ever, it’s important to be clear about what everyone is comfortable with in terms of who you’re coming in contact with.
- If you’re working or studying, it’s important that you practice social distancing while you’re outside of the house. Before you enter the house, remove your shoes and sterilise your hands. Once you’ve entered, follow the requests of the host. This might include changing clothes, showering or washing your hands thoroughly etc.
- Make a plan for what happens if someone is in contact with someone found to have COVID-19, or if someone in the house gets it. Will the whole house go into isolation? Is there an area of the house that can be used as a self-quarantine area? While this may be a tricky conversation to have, everyone’s health needs to be a priority
- Adhere to the social distancing rules. Although restrictions are easing, we still need to proceed with caution. If you’re out and you feel that the environment is becoming overcrowded, leave and head home.
Communication is key. In order for your Xchange to be successful it’s important that everyone feels comfortable asking questions and giving answers. At the end of the day, having everyone on the same page from the beginning is the best way to instil clarity and confidence in the Xchange.