“The Room Xchange is about Social Impact and how we’re considering the world and how we live. The treatment of asylum seekers has been a tragedy in this country as it has in many others. So it is with great pleasure that I had the opportunity to speak with Robert Rabiah about the treatment of asylum seekers through the eyes of this wonderful mini-series called ‘Safe Harbour’.” Ludwina Dautovic
About Robert Rabiah: Robert Rabiah is an award-winning Australian artist, has been nominated for an Australian Academy Award, and has appeared in some of this nation’s best-loved films and TV shows, such as
‘Chopper’ with Eric Bana, ‘Face to Face’ with Vince Colosimo, and ‘Deadline Gallipoli’ with Sam Worthington, as well as coming off the critically acclaimed feature film, ‘Ali’s Wedding,’ which won a slew of awards including Best Film at the Sydney and Melbourne Film Festivals. The film also won an ARIA for Best Soundtrack and has been nominated for 8 Australian Academy Awards.
Now, Robert has a new project slated for release in early 2018 called ‘Safe Harbour,’ which also stars Phoebe Tonkin, Jacqueline McKenzie, and Ewen Leslie – to name but a few – and is directed by the brilliant Glendyn Ivin, produced by Stephen Corvini and Sue Masters, and will be released through SBS and NBC UNIVERSAL.It takes a community to make anything work - be it a film, business idea or philanthropic venture. #asylumseekers #safeharbour #TheRoomXchange Click To Tweet
In this episode, we discussed:
- Highlights in Robert’s career such as ‘Face to Face’ (40 international film awards) with Sigrid Thornton, Vince Colosimo, Mathew Newton, Luke Ford, and directed by Michael Rymer
and ‘Ali’s Wedding’ which has been nominated for a slew of awards in this year’s Australian Academy Awards.
- Treatment of Asylum Seekers in Australia.
- How the U.N. has recently come out with a scathing review of Australia’s human rights record.
- Manus Island
- Donald Trump’s vetting process for people now allowed in the US.
- Marriage equality
- We need more diversity on the big screen that represents the people in our communities.
- Stories such as the mini-series ‘Safe Harbour’ have the power to contribute to the discussion and help cause a ripple of change.
- Compassion is where the solution lays.
- The Golden Age of television – Stan, Netflix, Hulu.
- Ultimately, it’s about putting a spotlight on the issues we feel passionate about and doing something about it.
Testimonial: “A sincere Thank-You to Ludwina Dautovic for recently having me on The Room XChange. Being interviewed by Ludwina is like having a chat with an old friend – a friend who shares a common social desire to shine a torch on issues that are important and to ultimately contribute to that narrative in a positive way.” Robert Rabiah
Connect with Robert Rabiah and Safe Harbour
- IMDB for Show: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6816530/
- IMDB for Robert Rabiah: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0704867/